I’m celebrating turning another year older today! The big two seven. I feel like a lot of us beat ourselves up over small (and not-so-small) things constantly throughout our lives, and thought maybe I should list a few things I’ve learnt about myself over the years, even if it’s only for myself to look back on oneday and have a little laugh over. Maybe some of this will resonate with you, no matter what age, and maybe you’ll want to add your own lessons learnt in the comments..
1. Saying no is often just as empowering as saying yes.
2. Sometimes your dream ends up being one you don’t even know exists when you initially started looking for it.
3. And sometimes you have to go back to university waaay down the line and start right back at the beginning to make that dream a reality.
4. Loving is just as important as being loved. We’re often get so caught up with questioning whether the people in our lives are giving us enough love, but I’ve realized it’s just as important to make sure you’re giving them all of your love too.
5. Don’t be cheap when it comes to hair or skincare. They’re the adornments you have to wear everyday and I definitely think that a big part of loving yourself is treating your body well – keep the saving for makeup and clothing!
6. In this life, a sense of humour is crucial.
7. You really can’t change anyone, but you can change the way you react to them.
8. I’ll never regret the money I spend on travelling, but do sometimes regret unnecessary shopping. I’m trying to keep that in mind each time I spot a new pair of shoes.
9. Don’t always listen to your friends. They’re great for advice, but you know your heart and sometimes you just need to listen to that instead.
10. Be kind to yourself always, learn to ignore the little voices in your head and start loving yourself.
11. Order dessert and get the fucking fries. But eat your greens too, those guys are good for you.
12. On that note, just drink those 8 little glasses of water a day while you’re at it.
13. This ones and oldie but a goody that I’ve discovered to be true. There’s not much that can’t be fixed with a little saltwater. Tears and the ocean (or a beachy getaway) can fix just about anything in the short term.
14. Wear SPF 50 on your face every day. I’ve been a regular at this for the last year or so and my skin is seriously thanking me.
15. Don’t gossip. It’s super shitty and women should really all be about supporting and uplifting one another at this point.
16. As much as it sometime might feel like it, life isn’t a race. Especially when your friends are buying property, getting promotions, or even getting married, and you don’t even know what you want to do with your life. Life is interesting, everyone gets their time, and everyone goes through the good and the bad stages at some point. Your good will always come.
17. Try, as much as you can, to be the positive beam of light you want to see in everyone else.
18. Love is a lot of things, but mostly it’s pretty great.
19. Be informed, not just opinionated. It’s so important to read the news and look into the other sides of the argument, even if you don’t agree with it it’s still important to know what you’re talking about.
20. Only you can make yourself truly happy.
21. Laugh a lot. Like a whole lot. God, life would be so dull if I wasn’t crying from laughter a couple times every week.
22. Be confident in your own abilities and strengths, and comfortable with where you’re at in your journey.
23. Seriously, singing in the car while going for a drive is possibly one of my favourite things to do.
24. Just because someone older and more accomplished than you says you’re not good enough, doesn’t mean you need to listen. Criticism is there to better us, pick yourself up and be the best you possibly can be.
25. If you’re a sensitive soul, like me, try to understand that so many people you’re going to come across have absolutely no idea that their actions have such an impact on you. Try not to hold it against them.
26. Learn something new every day. Cheesy maybe, but I’m currently doing just that and am more inspired right now than I have been in ages.
27. And lastly but probably most importantly, age really is just a number.